Friday, April 22, 2011

Sardines with Herbs and Preserved Lemon on Crackers

Try as I might to fancy the name up, people are still going to shy away from Sardines. Even though they're tasty and good for you. I guess its their look, or the fact that not many people grew up eating them. I remember my dad and I eating them on Saltine Crackers as a snack when I was younger, and I am always trying different additions to that combination. This is my latest experiment, and boy is it delicious.

Sardines with Herbs and Preserved Lemon on Crackers
Makes lunch for 1, or a snack for 2
  • A can of Sardines in olive oil
  • Saltine Crackers
  • Fresh herbs to sprinkle on the snack, chopped (I used dill, parsley, and chives)
  • 1/4 of a preserved lemon, rind only, diced into little pieces
  • garlic salt
  • pepper
  • hot sauce
Lay out as many crackers as you want, and put a fish on each (If you're making lunch, you might want less crackers and split up the rest of the sardines between the others). I use a fork to get the fish out of the tin, and be careful because they crumble easy. Sprinkle the herbs evenly over the crackers. Follow with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Lastly, dash a couple of squirts of hot sauce on each to taste. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. No one loves sardines more than I do. I prefer fresh ones but canned ones are great too. Do you preserve your own lemons? I haven't done it in a while.

    Great snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never find the fresh ones, so the canned ones have to do. I would love to try them fresh. I do preserve my own lemons, they just recently became ready so of course I'm putting them in almost every thing I cook right now.

    ReplyDelete