Pecan Topped Sweet Potatoes
- 2 whole medium yams (or actual sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of pecans (chopped from the store is easiest)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/3 stick of butter
- Wash 2 medium yams and bake them in a 375-degree oven until fork tender, about 30-35 minutes. (It took mine wayyy longer, be prepared for 45 minutes to an hour). When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough—you don’t want it to be perfectly smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add brown sugar, pecans (chopped if they aren't already), flour, and butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined. ( I used my hands, its always easier to make sure everything is combined).
- Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.