Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Corn on the Cob with Dill and Chives

I now have an herb garden at the new house. No longer do I miss my indoor herbs of ND; I now have healthy bountiful plants that I can leave outside. And because of the bountiful-ness of it, I have a need to come up with different ways of using the herbs. I have the following: Parsley, Chives, Dill, Cilantro, Mint, Thyme, Oregano, Basil, and a poor Rosemary plant that got sick (possibly mold when I had it inside) and is barely clinging to life. I also have a lemon tree and a lime tree, but those results won't be realized for quite a while.
Dill is a new flavor in my herb garden, and as such I don't really know what to do with it. I know it goes well with fish, and have had that meal come out beautifully. But the other day when I made corn on the cob, I thought, why not? It has a delicate enough flavor so that it won't overpower the sweetness of the corn, and it would pair well with chives. And so this recipe was made.

Corn on the Cob with Dill and Chives
  • A head of corn for each person to be served. 
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped dill per head of corn. (more or less depending on personal tastes)
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped chives per head of corn. (same as above)
  • butter or spread
  • garlic salt
  • pepper

Boil the corn until it is done, based on your preference. I like mine still crunchy. Remove it from the water onto a plate. Put sticks into both ends if you prefer. Butter them up, all the way around. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lastly mix the dill and chives together, and dust them all the way around the corn. Make sure to do all of the above when the corn is still hot, that way the herbs will wilt a little. Enjoy the corn!

Another way of doing it would be to butter, salt and pepper, and put the herbs on the corn before you cook it, wrap it in tin foil, and put it on the barbecue on low. I haven't tried it this way with herbs, but I'm sure it'll be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment