Thursday, November 25, 2010

Pecan Topped Sweet Potatoes

Apparently Sweet Potatoes and Yams are two different potatoes- I found this out as I stared at the two in the produce isle. I finally decided that sweet potatoes looked weird, like regular potatoes, and that the orangey yams were the way to go. So even though this recipe says Sweet Potatoes, use Yams. I got this recipe through a friend who posted the website on her Facebook page. I can't wait to try some of Pioneer Woman's other recipes!

Pecan Topped Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4
  • 2 whole medium yams (or actual sweet potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of milk
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  •  1 cup of pecans (chopped from the store is easiest)
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1/3 stick of butter

  1. Wash 2 medium yams and bake them in a 375-degree oven until fork tender, about 30-35 minutes. (It took mine wayyy longer, be prepared for 45 minutes to an hour). When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
  2. Add sugar, milk, eggs, vanilla extract and salt. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough—you don’t want it to be perfectly smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, add brown sugar, pecans (chopped if they aren't already), flour, and butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined. ( I used my hands, its always easier to make sure everything is combined).
  4. Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
  5. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I made these on Thursday! Did you like it with the yams? I followed the recipe exactly, and my mom had a hissy fit because she thought there was way too much sugar... I told her it was a PW recipe and she should relax, and I loved it! I have the PW cookbook, and I deffinetly recommend it. All of her recipes that I've made are amazing!

    ReplyDelete